Mr. Ackerman's Blog

SAIL Teacher Q and A

July 25, 2017 · No Comments

We are very excited to welcome the SAIL program to the Lane School.  The Inclusive SAIL Program is designed to serve Bedford Public School students in grades K-12 with educational needs related to an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other related disabilities. Rachel Orlovsky will be our lead teacher for the program. Last year Rachel worked at the Davis School’s SAIL program.

Here is a short Q and A with Rachel.

Why did you decide to become a teacher?
Probably the most influential person in my desire to become a teacher was my mother. When I was young I would often go to work with her and spend time with her students. She taught a special education life skills program at a high school in New Jersey. She loved what she did and her students adored her. I remember realizing how instrumental she was in giving her students the tools and skills they needed to be successful in and out of school and I knew that I wanted to someday be in a profession as meaningful and fulfilling. During college, I began working at a hospital school for medically fragile children with severe physical and cognitive disabilities. When I started here it was for my Music Therapy practicum, however as I spent more time in the school I realized that I loved all aspects of the educational process. I ended up working at this school as a teaching assistant and eventually as a teacher. The students I met there taught me that all children have the potential to learn, grow and contribute their community. It didn’t take me long to realize that I wanted to dedicate my life to teaching and supporting the most unique and vulnerable learners.

What makes you excited about coming to the Lane School?
I am excited to come to Lane School because I have had the opportunity to witness the camaraderie and collaboration that exists there. Every person I’ve met so far has been welcoming, supportive and encouraging. The teachers and administrators in this school seem truly passionate about the success of their students and colleagues and I am looking forward to being a part of this kind of community.

What is your fondest memory when you were in Gr 3-5 as a student?
Although I loved my teachers in elementary school and have many fond memories of the projects we did and books we read, probably my fondest memory from this time was meeting my best friend. We met when we were 10 years old and have enjoyed 20+ years of friendship. Even though we now live in different states and lead different lives, we remain as close as we were when we were kids and I think that comes from forming a bond at this developmentally challenging age. We supported each other through the ups and downs of navigating the social dynamics of elementary and middle school and for that, I will always be grateful.

Tell us one thing people might be surprised to learn about you?
One thing people might be surprised to learn about me is that I am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I was really small for my age when I was younger and I was absolutely terrible at team sports but martial arts helped to build my physical coordination and my self-confidence at the same time.

Any highlights from the summer so far?

Some of my summer highlights so far include: spending time with my dogs and cats, reading on the beach, traveling to the Cape and spending time writing and playing music.

Categories: interview

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below..