Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Jessica Castelline- new Gr 5 teacher

July 25, 2017 · No Comments

Jessica Castelline has been hired as the new Gr 5 teacher, replacing Mrs Dick who retired last year.  She is going to be an excellent addition to our school community.

Here is a short Q and A with Jessica.

Why did you decide to become a teacher?

I love learning. I love the feeling of satisfaction after struggling through a problem for awhile and then figuring it out. I love teaching people to fall in love with learning. It is something I want to do every day of my life and a passion I want to share with kids. I grew up playing sports my entire life and thrive when I work and collaborate with other people toward a common goal. I want my students to wake up every morning excited to come to school, wanting to learn, and making connections daily. My dad was a principal for 19 years and I remember him coming home telling me stories when I was in elementary school and thinking I want to be like my dad…and here I am more than ten years later making my dreams come true!

What makes you excited about coming to the Lane School?

I get excited answering this question, because I am thrilled to be working at the Lane School. From the moment I walked in for my interview and talked to Mrs. Lua I could sense a special sense of community within the school, staff, and students. I remember her telling me about the chickens and gardens that the students take care of and I remember thinking how cool it is to have those opportunities at school. From that conversation on I have been more and more impressed by the sense of comradery, unique opportunities, and support that Lane provides for all their staff as well as their students. When I went on a tour of Lane with Mr. Ackerman students came up and talked to him and engaged in conversation, showing that the students feel a sense of comfort within the school, which I believe is vital to learning. The piece of Lane that I am most excited about is the opportunity to work alongside a close-knit and strong team of professionals who are all working together toward a common purpose: to positively develop and influence the lives of each student.

What is your fondest memory when you were in Gr 3-5 as a student?

My entire fifth grade year was by far the best memories I have. I loved my fifth grade teacher, and I am still in contact with her today. (I hope this becomes a reality for some of my students in the future.) However, my favorite memories from fifth grade were the “outside of the box” projects we got to do. There were two I remember in particular, one project was we had to create a slogan for our name and pretend we were running for President. I remember my slogan to this day… “Cast-a-line for Castelline”. I made fishing poles out of pipe cleaners and attaching a bell as the “bait” to the end of the fishing pole. The second project I remember was that we were given a HUGE white paper bag and we were told to make something out of it and research about it and give an oral speech about our topic of choice. It was a pretty vague project, but that’s what I loved about it, because we could use our imaginations and get creative. We got to research something we were each passionate about and share it with our classmates! I chose Mother Teresa. I researched her and made a whole robe and veil using blue duck tape. I may even have a picture of me in it practicing my presentation…oh and my older brother tried it on too J I loved having the freedom to be creative with such an ordinary object.

Tell us one thing people might be surprised to learn about you?

I grew up in Concord, Massachusetts, only about fifteen minutes away from Lane School. I commonly would go to Bedford Farms to get ice cream, as it is my favorite summer treat, and I played lacrosse and basketball in high school. I played against Bedford in both sports all four years! I continued on to Gordon College where I played lacrosse for four years, was a captain my senior year, and broke the college’s points scored record. Now to compensate for the competitive drive in me I take my fiancé’s CrossFit classes daily.

Any highlights from the summer so far?

My fiancé’s uncle has a house on Rattlesnake Island on Lake Winnipesauke in Gilford, NH that we go up to every summer. This summer we went up and did some of my favorite things including jet skiing, going on boat rides to get ice cream, deep dive in the middle of the lake, tubing, reading, taking the dog on a hike, and having a campfire. It was a perfect weekend. I am hoping to go up one more time before the end of the summer, as it is by far my favorite place to spend the summer!

Categories: Uncategorized

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below..