Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Carolyn Carr…New Special Education Teacher

July 25, 2017 · No Comments

Carolyn Carr is one of several new special education hires at Lane. We feel very fortunate to have found Carolyn in our hiring process. She will be working in Grade 4 next year.

Here is my interview with Carolyn to help you get to know her.

Why did you decide to become a teacher?

I decided to become a teacher when I worked at my high school’s preschool. The preschoolers love of exploration learning made me appreciate learning more. Now I want to help students who learn differently access the curriculum and build confidence in different areas. It is rewarding to see my students have a “lightbulb moment” after working hard on a concept.

What makes you excited about coming to the Lane School?

I felt a draw to Lane School the moment I walked in. From Ms. Lua and Ms. Ricci’s friendliness in the office to students saying “Good morning!” to me in the hallway. I am excited to join such a vibrant community in Bedford. Previously I was in a co-taught classroom in Newton, so I am excited to bring my knowledge of co-teaching, guided reading, literacy centers, growth mindset, and multi-sensory learning.

What is your fondest memory when you were in Gr 3-5 as a student?

My fondest memory in elementary school was when I won Best in Show in the school’s art show in the fourth grade. I won because I drew a realistic (for a cartoon) painting of Genie from the Aladdin. I spent a lot of time and effort on that painting, so I was happy to see my work be acknowledged in that way. As an educator, I realize the importance to acknowledge the accomplishments (no matter how small or big) of my students.

Tell us one thing people might be surprised to learn about you?

I am an Irish twin! My sister and I were born in the same calendar year, so we are the same age each month. When we were little my mom would get calls from camps saying that she put the wrong year down for my sister.

Any highlights from the summer so far?

This summer I was able to go down to the Cape a few times. I also spent a lot of time with friends and family.

Categories: interview

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below..