Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Q and A with Ms O’Shea (new ELL teacher)

August 17, 2016 · No Comments

What makes you excited about coming to the Lane School?

I’m excited about becoming a part of such a friendly and welcoming learning community.   When I first walked into Lane School this spring, I was thrilled to have so many warm faces greet me.  While I have worked in K-5 schools before, I have never worked in an assigned grade 3-5 school, which I am really looking forward to.

What’s your favorite memory from when you were a kid in grades 3-5?

My favorite memory from when I was a kid in grades 3-5, was learning about Greek Mythology.   My third and fourth grade teacher, Mr. Mahady, was passionate about teaching us about the gods and goddesses and all of the stories/fables connected to them.   I was fascinated by the stories and I even named my cats after Greek/Roman goddesses!

What made you want to become a teacher?

First of all, my mother and my paternal grandmother were both elementary school teachers, so it’s in my blood.  In addition, I loved playing school as a child and even had a neighborhood school called “Happy Club.”   I decided to become an ELL teacher because as the grandchild of immigrants, I was very interested in the way we acquire a different language and culture and become part of a broader community.  It’s an amazing process to me!

Tell us one thing that people would be surprised to know about you.

One thing that you would be surprised to know about me is that four summers ago, in July 2012, our house was hit by lightning.  Luckily, no one was hurt, but our house did sustain substantial fire and water damage.

What have you been doing this summer?

This summer, our family has been in the process of moving and transitioning from Burlington, VT to Massachusetts.    Unfortunately, moving can be a stressful process!  Fun things that I have enjoyed doing include running frequently on the Burlington bike path and hiking with my daughter and friends in the Green Mountains of Vermont as well as the Adirondack Mountains in New York State.

Categories: Uncategorized

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below..