Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Meet Ms Herrick (New SPED Teacher)

August 10, 2016 · No Comments

We hired Ms. Emily Herrick to be one of our new special education teachers. She will be working in Grade 5 and doing Wilson reading with students across the school. Emily worked in another Massachusetts school district for about 7 years. We are excited to have her join us.

What makes you excited about coming to the Lane School?

One of the reasons I am excited about coming to the Lane School is because of the wonderful school community.  Upon entering the Lane School, I immediately felt welcomed by all of the staff.  Everyone has been extremely helpful and welcoming as I prepare for my first year in Bedford.  I am very excited to be a part of this school community!

What is your favorite memory from when you were in grades 3-5 as a kid?

One of my favorite memories from my years in upper elementary school was a gifted and talented program called P.E.A.K. that I was selected for.  It took place during the school day and focused on project-based experiences.  In 5th grade, we had a photography class that was so much fun. We learned how to use 35 mm cameras and how to develop film in a dark room.  We were fortunate enough to travel around the city to practice using our cameras in different settings.  I even have some of my old photographs from 5th grade in my childhood bedroom!

What made you want to be a teacher?

I think that even as a young child I knew that I wanted to become a teacher.  I loved school, especially during elementary school, and I respected all of my teachers.  I played school at home lining up my stuffed animals as my “students” and was always able to picture having my own classroom.  I loved my third-grade teacher, Mrs. Labuski, and always wanted to be a wonderful teacher like her when I grew up.

Tell us one thing we would be surprised to know about you?

One of my personal hobbies since I was very young, has always been dance.  I decided to continue my passion for dance after college and I joined Boston’s largest performance-based dance company, DanceWorks Boston.  We rehearse several times a week and have two shows per year.  The founder and owner of DanceWorks Boston, Lisa Mara, also happens to be a Bedford native!

What have you been doing this summer?

This summer I have taken advantage of the warm weather and I have spent a lot of time outside and at the beach.  I’ve traveled to Cape Cod and spent time on my favorite beaches in Wellfleet.  I’ve also visited Montauk, North Carolina, and Charleston, South Carolina.   I’ve enjoyed relaxing with friends and family, going for long runs in the middle of the day, and catching up on some pleasure reading.

Categories: Uncategorized

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below..