Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Meet Mr. Ferguson (new Gr 3 teacher)

August 4, 2016 · No Comments

Here is a brief Q and A with Peter Ferguson, our new Grade 3 teacher. And no….he is not related to our Grade 3 teacher, Mrs Fergsuon. : )

1. What makes you excited about coming to the Lane School?

First and foremost, I can’t wait to meet and work with my new class.  I love working with third graders and how enthusiastic they are to learn.  When I was touring the school I noticed that the school has live animals in so many places, which I think promotes questions and discussions for cross curricula learning opportunities.  I was also very excited to learn that Lane has a high ropes course and challenges its’ students more than just academically.

2. What is your favorite memory from when you were in grades 3-5 as a kid?

Third grade was when I moved from England to America and it was a very memorable time of my life.  So many things were different from what I knew.  Teachers and classmates helped make the transition such a positive experience.  People talked differently, the games were different and what we were learned in school was seemingly all new.  How people helped me and made me feel so comfortable has played a big part in who I am today.

3. What made you want to be a teacher?

In 2009 I started working with at-risk youth from urban areas.  I would introduce them to hiking and the outdoors and we’d camp up in the White Mountains.  I found that working with those kids was far more intrinsically rewarding than the work I was doing in the private sector.  I started taking classes at night and the rest is history.

4.  Tell us one thing we would be surprised to know about you?

I was once a caretaker for 4 donkeys, 8 goats and a bunch of chickens.  I now have a very health appreciation for roosters and learned that a chicken refusing to move from her nest means she’s trying to incubate her eggs.  When no one tells you these things, and you don’t have the internet, you have to figure these things out yourself!

5.  What have you been doing this summer?

I took my eldest son back “home” to England to meet his Great Aunt.  For the rest of the summer, when the boys were napping, I worked on building them a tree house in the backyard.  As a family our summer has been filled with music class, gymnastics, swim lessons, Walden pond, trips to the ocean and Drumlin Farm.  Myself, I enjoyed some time to get in some runs, ride my bike and catch up on my reading.

Categories: Uncategorized

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below..