Mr. Ackerman's Blog

New Reading Teacher

August 13, 2015 · No Comments

We have hired Kate Briggs to replace our long-time Reading Teacher, Linda Volpicelli. Kate comes to us from the Wellesley schools.  Here is a Q and A with Kate to help you get to know her.

Why did you want to become a reading teacher?

I have been a classroom teacher for about ten years, and my desire to become a reading teacher stemmed out of my love of being a classroom teacher.  Over time I realized how incredibly important the ability to read is to students, especially struggling students, and I wanted to learn more about how to help my strugglers.

What excites you about coming to the Lane School?

I have spent almost all of my career teaching third through fifth grade as a classroom teacher, and I am so excited to be able to focus on those grades as a reading teacher. I got such a great, warm feeling being at the Lane School for my interview, and I am really looking forward to working together to collaborate for the success of all of our students.

What is your fondest memory of when you were in grades 3-5 as a student?

I absolutely loved my third, fourth and fifth grade teachers; their faces are what jumped into my head as I thought about this question.  I was a very shy child and I remember being a finalist in the school spelling bee as fifth grader; it came down to myself and an eighth grader, and we went back and forth for a long time.  At one point, my teacher Mr. Horwitt snuck out to call my mom and fill her in and my mom told me later that he was crying.  I just felt so loved and I felt how proud he was of me on that day, which really pushed me to try to take more risks and helped me believe in myself.

Tell us one thing people might be surprised to learn about you?

For a short time as a child I wanted to be an actress; when I was twelve I ended up starring in a short film that was an NYU film student’s thesis project.  It premiered at our local movie theater; the highlight of my short-lived acting career!

Any highlights from the summer so far?

I am writing this from vacation in Maine with my family; it is so amazing to be by the ocean and to be out in nature.  I got to try stand-up paddle boarding and am loving it!

Categories: interview

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below..