Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Q and A Megan Farrell

August 10, 2015 · 2 Comments

Ms Farrell joins us this year as a Grade 4 Teacher. She has taught in NYC but calls Boston her home.  Here is a brief Q and A with her:

Why did you want to become a teacher?

I had an amazing seventh grade science teacher who taught me how to think and ask questions while guiding me in the right direction. Since then, I knew I wanted to inspire students to be enthusiastic about learning, similar to how he had done for me. There is nothing better than the look in a student’s eyes when he or she becomes excited about the learning experience.

What excites you about coming to the Lane School?

The Lane School exemplifies the type of community of learners that I have always hoped to teach at in my career. After my visits to the school, it was evident that the Lane School was developing children into well rounded learners who were exposed to all different aspects of learning. I am excited to work with my co-workers to develop cross-curricular, hands on learning experiences to challenge our students to go above and beyond.

What is your fondest memory of when you were in grades 3-5 as a student?

I participated in a fifth grade play that my friends still talk about to this day when we get together to catch up. Looking back as an educator, I realize how amazing it was that my teachers were able to develop a curriculum that not only incorporated the play into our classroom, but they were also able to included every student on multiple levels.

Tell us one thing people might be surprised to learn about you?

I am originally from the area, but I have been teaching in Harlem for three years. I also coached the Promise Academy fourth and fifth grade boys flag football team, in which we placed second after a tough loss in our championship game.

Any highlights from the summer so far?

I am headed on a three week backpacking trip to Europe. I will be visiting England, France, Spain, and Italy!

Categories: Uncategorized
Tagged: , ,

2 responses so far ↓

•   Miles // Aug 10th 2015 at 6:09 pm

Dear Ms. Farrell,
    I am so happy to have you as my fourth grade teacher this year. I am really into soccer and my favorite subject is math. In my family I have a older sister Mom a Dad and a cat named Simon. I am wondering if we will be able to come into our class and take a look at the class.
    Sencerily
    Miles

•   Ms. Farrell // Aug 13th 2015 at 12:01 pm

Hi Miles!!!

I am looking forward to meeting you! I hope you are having an awesome summer! I can’t wait to learn more about you, I also love math, so I think we are going to get along great. I plan to move my supplies and set up our classroom next week, so anytime after that you are welcome to come check it out!

Enjoy the rest of your summer, I am having some family time at a lake near Saratoga, NY.

Ms. Farrell