Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Meet Ms. Armangau

June 22, 2012 · No Comments

This week we hired Ms Armangau as a one of our two new grade three teachers. I did a short Q and A with her today so you can have some background on her. Gr 3 students who had “New Teacher” on their placement list, will be having Ms. Armangau.

Q: Why did you want to become a teacher?

I’ve always been working with children; I started babysitting while I was 12 years old and worked as a camp counselor throughout high school. When I first started college I knew I wanted to continue a profession that involved children, so I declared my major in child psychology since I was interested in social interactions between kids. However, during the summer of my sophomore year, I began tutoring children with disabilities and absolutely loved it. What excited me the most about teaching (and still does!) is seeing children’s expressions when they finally understand a concept and they feel successful! Their self-esteem rises, they are thrilled with the rewards of their hard work, and they are motivated to continue learning. My goal became to help all students achieve this level of comfort and excitement by finding topics that will get them eager to work.  After that summer, I switched my major to elementary education and never looked back!

Q: What excites you about coming to Bedford?

I think that what really sets Bedford apart from other districts is the focus on using technology to be innovative and creative. Students and teachers have the liberty to create projects and use tools (such as iTouches and iPads) that are engaging for kids. In addition, these types of technologies also help develop students’ 21st century skills as they learn to collaborate, research, and publish their ideas in formats that interest them. It’s a great experience for kids to be able to learn these skills starting in elementary school since they will always be salient – in high school, and beyond. I’m excited to be able to support students as they discover how to use these tools effectively and productively!

Q: What is your favorite memory from when you were a grade 3 student?

My third grade teacher, Mrs. Chase, had our class perform a play for parents in colonial full costumes! The play was about the pilgrims and Native Americans as they first arrived in Massachusetts. Before the performance, we read many books to learn about this time period, conducted our own independent research, and visited Plymouth Plantation. It was great to act out our knowledge and show what we had learned in such an engaging way.

Q: What is one thing parents and students may be surprised to know about you?

I am an avid triathlete! A lot of my free time is spent training for races, namely olympic distance courses: 1 mile swim, 27 mile bike ride, and 10K run. This summer, I am competing in 3 different triathlons and a half marathon.  (note from Mr. Ackerman-  “I’m impressed!!)

Categories: Uncategorized
Tagged: ,

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below..