Mr. Ackerman's Blog

In honor of MCAS. . .

March 30, 2012 · 3 Comments

This week students across the Commonwealth are doing MCAS. I thought I would take this opportunity to show you student learning which would never be demonstrated on a standardized test. Below is a video clip of two of our students working on a blues project. The project entails researching a blues artist and creating an accompanying original blues tune. These two students are using the Garageband program on an Ipod Touch to lay down individual tracks for their song. As you can see, one boy is holding an Ipod playing some of the tracks, while the other boy plays the Cello to add to the recording.   Creativity, collaboration, problem solving, perserverance. . . .are all a part of this assignment. But none are evident on MCAS.

Categories: Uncategorized

3 responses so far ↓

•   Nancy // Mar 30th 2012 at 10:54 am

great job! I wish we could just dump the MCAS and have more of these sorts of projects!

•   Chris // Mar 30th 2012 at 10:08 pm

Thanks for sharing. I am not a fan of the MCAS and think it’s great that we have a principal who hasn’t lost sight of what education and learning are all about.

•   Hillary // Mar 31st 2012 at 9:09 pm

My daughter loved this project! It’s great to learn about things other than the MCAS.