Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Welcome Back Mrs Venuti

August 12, 2011 · No Comments

Gretta Venuti is returning to the Lane School as a grade 4 teacher, working with Mrs Larrenaga.  I posed a few questions to Mrs Venuti.

Why did you want to become a teacher?
Well, I guess you could say that teaching is “in my blood.”  My mother was a Kindergarten teacher for 25 years.  I grew up watching her do lesson plans on Sundays and helping her to prepare art projects for her class.  I visited her classroom when ducks were hatching from eggs in an incubator for her farm unit.  She was a great role model for me.  The importance of education-teaching children and learning from children- was stressed early on in my family.  So I always knew that I wanted to pursue a career working with children.

There are so many aspects of teaching that I love:  it is incredibly rewarding to see how proud a student is when he/she masters a new skill or how excited a group of students can be when they get to do a very cool, hands-on science experiment.  I love that a classroom is a community of learners where everyone feels valued.  I have had teaching experience in Brookline, Weston, and I taught in Bedford from 1997-2004.  During my years of teaching in Bedford, I was so fortunate to work with wonderful students and families; many of them are now teenagers and young adults that I enjoy seeing around town (I also feel old! :)  I resigned in 2004 to stay at home with my young sons, with the idea that I would return to teaching at some point.  It feels like now is the right time for my family and me.

Why are yo excited about returning to teach in the Bedford Schools?
I am thrilled about returning to teach in the Bedford Schools!  In a way, it feels like coming “home.”  I have really missed my colleagues at Lane, and I am excited to meet new faces as well.  And I couldn’t ask for a nicer first year back than to work with Jenna Larrenaga, whom I job-shared with in the past; I feel extremely lucky to return to working with my old partner.  It is so wonderful that I can come back to a profession that I truly love, in a place where I love to work.
Bedford is such a special place; each day students benefit from the talented, devoted professionals who work in our school system.  Both as a teacher and as a parent of kids in the Bedford Schools, I really cannot say enough about our excellent school system!

What is something about you that students and parents would be surprised
to learn about you?

Some parents and students may not know that I have a son, Christopher, who will be in 4th grade in Miss Curro’s class.  So, at our house, we joke that both Christopher and I are going to be in 4th grade!! :)

Categories: Uncategorized
Tagged: ,

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below..