Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Let’s Meet Ms. Maguire

August 3, 2011 · 2 Comments

Ms. Maguire,  one of our new Grade 5 teachers just returned from California.  She was kind enough to answer a few questions for us to help you get to know her.

What made you want to become a teacher?
Although I have been interested in teaching ever since I roped my brother and sister into playing school with me as a young child, my summer internship for an agriculture and community service program inspired me to pursue teaching as a career. There, I supervised and instructed a group of local teenagers to carry out agricultural activities in urban gardens of Schenectady, NY and facilitated daily activities designed to educate them about food systems and nutrition. Many of the youth entered the program reluctantly, yet somehow these teenagers grew up over the summer and came to love the program as much as I did. After seeing the personal growth they experienced within a few short months, I became eager to see more of this kind of growth and excited by the prospect of seeing how children might evolve over the course of a whole year. As a result of this experience, during my senior year at Union College, I stumbled upon a unique opportunity. I was accepted into a collaborative program with Lesley University and an independent school on the North Shore (Brookwood School), which allowed me to co-teach full time in the classroom and in the same year complete my masters in elementary education. This program was an exceptionally rewarding experience for me and now, I cannot picture myself doing anything other than learning with children and helping them continue to grow as individuals.

Why are you excited to come to Bedford?
I am extremely excited to come to Bedford, mostly because of all the wonderful people I have met so far! I immediately noticed the warm, loving community at the Lane School. I have encountered nothing but positive attitudes and a love for learning within each person I have met. I am thrilled to be able to work alongside such wonderful people and I genuinely believe Bedford is an environment where both students and faculty thrive. I look forward to learning from everyone in the Bedford community and exchanging ideas. Most of all, I can’t wait to meet my students and get started with the new school year!

Tell us something your students and the community would be surprised to know about you?
In my childhood, I went to five different elementary schools in five different countries… That is, I attended elementary schools in the US, Spain, England, Germany, and France!

Categories: Uncategorized
Tagged:

2 responses so far ↓