Mr. Ackerman's Blog

MCAS. . .Overrated?

April 24, 2011 · 3 Comments

As we reach the half way point of our MCAS testing (still have math and some science in May), it is important for all of us (me included) to put MCAS in perspective.  I think most would agree that the following attributes are things we want for all our students.

creativity, critical thinking, resilience, motivation, persistence, curiosity, endurance, reliability, enthusiasm, empathy, self-awareness, self-discipline, leadership, civic-mindedness, courage, compassion, resourcefulness, sense of beauty, sense of wonder, honesty, integrity

But. . .none of these are tested on the MCAS.  Don’t get me wrong- I think there is a place for a state test in education.  But lets not lose sight of what the MCAS doesn’t test.

Categories: mcas
Tagged:

3 responses so far ↓

•   Venus // Apr 24th 2011 at 10:08 pm

I agree completely. MCAS as an earmark test twice, maybe three times in the kids precollege education is more than sufficient. I don’t believe they need to be tested as often as they do now.

•   Nance // Apr 24th 2011 at 10:51 pm

I also agree. My 3rd grader got quite stressed by it, but I told her that her score didn’t matter to me.

I just wish we could get the State Board to see other ways that our children can be evaluated.

•   Lori Murphy // Apr 29th 2011 at 7:46 am

I could not agree more. With the emphasis concerning “the race to the top”, there is a natural tendency to loose sight of these critical skills. Thank you for your valuable insight concerning this issue.