Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Recess Before Lunch- Makes Sense To Me

February 2, 2010 · 4 Comments

This article caught the eye of several parents who emailed me to see if we might consider this adjustment to our schedule.  I actually scheduled lunch after recess at my previous school, and it worked fine.  We are hoping to make this change for next year.  After all, who wants to eat a sloppy joe and  then run around for 20 minutes?

From the NY Times. . .

Can something as simple as the timing of recess make a difference in a child’s health and behavior?

Some experts think it can, and now some schools are rescheduling recess — sending students out to play before they sit down for lunch. The switch appears to have led to some surprising changes in both cafeteria and classroom.

Schools that have tried it report that when children play before lunch, there is less food waste and higher consumption of milk, fruit and vegetables. And some teachers say there are fewer behavior problems.

via Well – Seeing Benefits in Moving Recess Ahead of Lunch at School – NYTimes.com.

Categories: recess · wellness
Tagged: ,

4 responses so far ↓

•   Nancy // Feb 5th 2010 at 1:23 pm

I look forward to this change being made. I think its a great idea! My student will definitely benefit from having recess before lunch. The lunch might even be eaten, providing enough fuel to successfully get through to the end of the day.

•   Christine Pinney // Mar 16th 2010 at 3:32 pm

This sounds logical and intelligent!
    I support trying out recess before lunch.
    I enjoy being part of a school system that a) monitors other schools, patterns, trends and is willing to make changes.
    Bravo!

•   Bill Skiff // Apr 7th 2010 at 3:47 pm

Recess is essential to young children. The timing of recess just before lunch “should” give the children a sense of needing to stop and refuel, i.e. actually eat their lunch instead of just talking and goofing off with each other. If they do eat their lunch, then they may not be as tired or hungry later in the day, thus helping them study and learn even better

•   Claire // May 12th 2010 at 2:45 pm

Great Idea. All kids are hungrier after 1/2 hour running around outside