Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Adult Learning

November 2, 2009 · 4 Comments

As a principal I feel it is my responsibility to continue to learn.  Despite my ongoing reliance on “the web” to be my main source, I also find time for good ‘ol books.  Here are a couple I have read recently:

columbine Columbine by Dave Cullen is an important, yet difficult book to read.  It is the most thorough look at what transpired at the Colorado high school over 10 years ago.  What really happened? Could it have been stopped? Were the shooters really victims of bullying? Schools across the country are practicing lockdowns, in part, because of this tragic event.

The-Global-Achievement-Gap

Global Achievement Gap by Tony Wagner is a great look at today’s issues for educators and parents as we look to the future for our schools.  What should schools be focusing on? What role does technology play? (Hint: a lot)  With “21st skills” and “global awareness” being the big buzz words in education right now, this book is a great place to start for those interested in finding out what all the fuss is about.

Categories: 21st Century Learning
Tagged: ,

4 responses so far ↓

•   Hillary // Nov 9th 2009 at 9:47 pm

I read Columbine over the summer. A very good book.

•   Mark Morwood // Nov 12th 2009 at 3:48 pm

I just finished “Outliers” by Malcolm Gladwell – another interesting book. I found his thesis/discussion on the correlation between time spent practicing anything and final performance revealing. He goes on in the latter part of the book to explore the correlation of time in school to student performance across countries and settings. I also found his discussion of KIPP and their focus on time in school thought provoking.

•   rackerma // Nov 12th 2009 at 4:11 pm

Mark- I thought “Outliers” was very interesting, as are all of Gladwell’s books. Something to be said for practice!

•   Cheryl // Nov 19th 2009 at 11:04 am

I read Columbine last year – excellent, if haunting book. Dave Cullen is an amazing writer.