Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Mourning the Death of Handwriting – TIME

July 26, 2009 · 2 Comments

One topic that adults rarely agree on is the role of penmanship.  Should schools teach cursive? Keyboarding? Both? Time Magazine explores this issue this week. . .

I can’t remember how to write a capital Z in cursive. The rest of my letters are shaky and stiff, my words slanted in all directions. It’s not for lack of trying. In grade school I was one of those insufferable girls who used pink pencils and dotted their i’s with little circles. I experimented with different scripts, and for a brief period I even took the time to make two-story a’s, with the fancy overhang used in most fonts (including this magazine’s). But everything I wrote, I wrote in print. I am a member of Gen Y, the generation that shunned cursive. And now there is a group coming after me, a boom of tech-savvy children who don’t remember life before the Internet and who text-message nearly as much as they talk. They have even less need for good penmanship. We are witnessing the death of handwriting.

What do you think elementary schools should do in grades 3-5?

via Mourning the Death of Handwriting – TIME.

Categories: 21st Century Learning

2 responses so far ↓

•   L Goodhue // Aug 7th 2009 at 3:40 pm

As a college prep test tutor I see many high school students struggling to complete hand written essays on their SAT, ACT, etc. – their struggle is not due to lack of content or ideas but rather due in part to poor penmanship that those who grade these tests have trouble reading clearly which translates into a lower score. This struggle to write clearly during a stressful time in a student’s life has always struck me as an avoidable one. It makes me wonder if unclear penmanship has impacted MCAS scores, final exams, etc.

In spite of the prevelence of computers over paper there are still times clear penmanship is necessary. We should not short change our kids by assuming they won’t need to write very much as adults. Isn’t learning to print and write in cursive part of being an educated person?

•   rackerma // Aug 7th 2009 at 4:08 pm

I would argue that written essays should be put on computers for those students who want to type them. My guess is that in 10-20 years that will be the case for everyone.

-Mr Ackerman