Mr. Ackerman's Blog

Ice Cream

July 23, 2009 · 13 Comments

As mentioned earlier this summer, I have decided to have ice cream limited to just Fridays in the cafeteria.  I know most kids will be disappointed, but I think they’ll be OK.  With the increasing spotlight on student obesity rates, I think this is a wise move for us.

images

Categories: Uncategorized
Tagged: ,

13 responses so far ↓

•   Stephen Chu // Jul 24th 2009 at 9:16 pm

Do we have child obesity problem in town? I don’t see a lot of fat kids around. :)

Seriously. I don’t have an opinion one way or another. But I hope the decision was made to solve a real problem in town, instead of just following a trend.

•   rackerma // Jul 24th 2009 at 10:14 pm

Starting this fall, the state will be asking schools to track Body Mass Index’s for all students. Once the data is gathered I think it will reveal too many students who are overweight. Hopefully at the Lane School, we can do our part.
    -Rob Ackerman

•   Meighan // Jul 25th 2009 at 11:26 pm

Other ideas:
    - more fresh produce and whole grains in the school lunches (less pizza, burgers and nachos)
    - offer cups of tap water as an alternative to milk or juice
    - recess coaches to get kids moving (how about double dutch or hip hop dance lessons w/ music?)
    - P.E. outdoors
    - instead of docking recess for bad behavior, have kids do “boot camp” with Sandy Morvillo or run laps across the field…

•   Sheila Albrecht // Jul 26th 2009 at 8:04 pm

Ice cream was an optional item. If parents didn’t want their kids to have ice cream then they didn’t need to send money for it. If the kids have had a healthy lunch then an ice cream on occasion as approved by a parent is and always has been a nice option.

•   rackerma // Jul 26th 2009 at 8:12 pm

Good point Sheila. One of the issues we had was that some students were saving money for ice cream instead of buying lunch, and/or “begging” other students for money. With 190 students in the cafeteria it was hard to monitor all students.

-Rob Ackerman

•   Ali // Aug 6th 2009 at 3:35 pm

I like the idea of offering tap water as an alternative to milk and/or juice.

•   Julie // Aug 7th 2009 at 10:40 am

My own experience was that despite the fact that I did not give my 4th grader money for ice cream, one of her friends who did have money apparently bought her an ice cream sandwich nearly every day. She is a skinny child, and we have difficulty getting her to eat enough, so I really care what kind of calories she takes in. And yes, she did neglect her healthy lunch in favor of the ice cream. So I think the move to a Friday-only treat is a good idea.

•   lauri // Aug 7th 2009 at 9:58 pm

Great idea. Any little bit helps to promote healthy living. Though Friday’s ice cream line was long before, yikes!

•   Ann // Aug 11th 2009 at 10:47 am

I disagree with limiting the ice cream. This idea is right up there with the ” Walk & Bike Ride to School” day – you are pushing what a minority voice wants onto the rest of us. What’s next – telling us what treats are acceptable to send in for a birthday snack?? Let the parents parent and the teachers teach.

•   rackerma // Aug 11th 2009 at 11:45 am

Ann- you bring up an interesting point about what should schools be responsible for and what should be the responsibility of the parents. This is an area where there there can be disagreement. I believe we have a duty as a school to go beyond simply teaching the 3 R’s, and to focus on the “whole child.” The best example I can think of is that schools need to teach students general social skills and manners. One could argue that that should be left to the parents.

Thanks for the feedback

-Rob Ackerman

•   Hillary // Aug 20th 2009 at 10:54 am

I have no issue with having ice cream only once a week. I think it’s a good idea.

•   Nancy // Aug 24th 2009 at 12:01 am

Thanks for limiting the ice cream to once a week! Making tap water available in the lunch room would also be appreciated.

•   linda // Aug 31st 2009 at 6:00 pm

I am happy about the ice-cream being limited to once weekly. School is the place for learning and ice-cream is a special treat.